Categories
News

13 Boko Haram Terrorists, 23 Family Members Surrender To Troops In Borno

The Defence Headquarters says 13 Boko Haram terrorists alongside six women and 17 children from Kodila village, have surrendered to troops of 151 Task Force Battalion at Banki Junction in Bama Local Government Area of Borno.

The Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. John Enenche, disclosed this in a statement on Sunday in Abuja.

Enenche said the terrorists surrendered due to sustained aerial bombardment and aggressive intensive clearance operation by troops of Operation Lafiya Dole in the North East.

He said the suspects and their family members who surrendered on Saturday, had been receiving medical attention at a military medical facility.

According to him, the suspects are currently undergoing thorough profiling and investigation in line with global best practices in handling such cases.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria and other security agencies remain resolute, determined and committed to sustaining the tempo of the operations,” he said.

Categories
News

Human Trafficking Ring! Police Rescue 10 ‘sex Slaves’ From Brothel, Arrest Five Suspects

Hawks have rescued 10 women from an alleged human trafficking ring and arrested five people in early morning raids in Rustenburg and Kuruman.

Hawks spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi, who confirmed the development on Sunday, September 27, said the women are from Limpopo, Lesotho and Namibia and were trafficked to work in brothels in Rustenburg and Kuruman.

The brothels were disguised as bed and breakfast accommodation.

“The women were trafficked from neighbouring countries and used as sex slaves. The brothels were disguised as BnBs and the women were made to pay rent while working there,” Mulaudzi explained.

According to Mulaudzi, the arrests were a culmination of an investigation which lasted more than a year.

“The investigation started in June 2019. Since then, we have been working on collecting intelligence,” he said.

The investigation identified six suspects. One of them died in 2019, but the remaining five were arrested during a swoop on three properties, which began at 06:00 on Sunday, Mulaudzi said.

The Hawks are working with the Department of Social Development to take the rescued women to places of safety.

The Department of Home Affairs was also assisting with their immigration status, Mulaudzi said.

Categories
News

NSCDC Arrest 5 Suspected Cultists With Human Skull

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) in Cross River has arrested five suspected cultists in the state with a human skull including mother trying to sell her 9-year-old daughter because a prophetess said she was a witch.

Parading the suspects on Wednesday in Calabar, Mr Danjuma Elisha, State Commandant of NSCDC in the state, told newsmen that the suspects were arrested by officials of NSCDC on Aug. 18 2020, in Ogoja local government area.

Elisha disclosed that the five persons in their custody were arrested through a tip-off when suspected cultists from a rival group had a confrontation.

His words: “On Aug. 18 2020, our attention was called upon concerning a secret cult confrontation at No. 50 mission Road, Igoli, Ogoja.Upon arriving at the scene, our men found a human skull and other bones believed to be human bones.

“The team on the ground decided to swiftly pick the items and persons found within the vicinity for scrutiny.10 persons were picked up and after interrogations, 5 persons were identified to have questions to answer in relation to the items found,” he said.

Revealing the identity of the suspects, they included, Ejesi Akwa, Ugbem Oloko, Francis Ogbeche, Thomas Ajaba and Gabriel Ogbeche. He further revealed that the four suspects will be handed over to the police for further investigation and prosecution.

One of the suspects, Awka, told Vanguard that they had a confrontation with a group of cultists that came to attack them in the compound. He said that it was during the process of the arrest that men of the NSCDC found the human skull in their compound.

In a related development, the Commandant also paraded one Patience Effiong-Udo, 26, for allegedly trying to sell her 9-year-old daughter at Bogobiri area in Calabar.

“Upon a tip-off by a good Nigerian on Aug. 18 2020, our men arrested one Ms Patience Effiong-Udo who went to Bogobiri in Calabar South LGA, allegedly looking for a buyer for one of her daughter’s names withheld, who is 9-year-old.

“Upon investigation, she confessed to the crime and alleged that the prophetess in her church told her that the said Mary Philips was a witch and that she should not stay in her church anymore.

“While she was asking a question on how to sell the child, the person decided to inform us and we swiftly swung into action and picked her. “In line with inter-agency synergy, we shall be handing over Ms Effiong-Udo to the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons and other Related Matters for further investigation and prosecution,” he said.

Effiong-Udo told Vanguard that, it was when she complained to the prophetess that she had no food to eat, that the prophetess encouraged her to sell her child that she is a witch.

She mentioned the name of the prophetess to be “Hannah”, who is in charge of popular old generation church( names withheld) at Itu Okon area of Calabar Municipal LGA.

Categories
News

Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions

National association of university students (NAUS), National Association of polytechnic students (NAPS), and National Association of Nigerian colleges of education (NANCES) to demand for immediate reopening of campus across Nigeria.

More details in the picture attached.

Nigerian students have resolved to embark on a nationwide protest, as the two-week ultimatum issued the Federal Government by student leaders on school re-opening elapses.

Leaders of National Association of University Students (NAUS), National Association of Polytechnic Students (NAPS) and National Association of College of Education Students (NANCES), at the end of their virtual meeting yesterday, said the protest would hold tomorrow.

The student leaders said they would converge at the Federal Ministry of Education, Abuja, while state coordinators would march to the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) secretariats in their various states.

NANCES president, Mahmud Abubakar, told The Guardian: “The agitation is still one, which is the re-opening of our campuses.

We just want to hear from the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, the date for resumption, as we are more open to the deadly coronavirus at home than on campus, and an idle mind is the devil’s workshop.”

On his part, NAPS president, Sunday Asuku, said the protest would be peaceful and that security agencies and the International Human Right Commission (IHRC) had been notified.

“It is so disheartening, appalling and unethical knowing that our government doesn’t place priority on education. We all know that COVID-19 is real, but extremely blown out of proportion in Nigeria. Our institutions have been placed under lock and key for good six months with the claim of preventing the spread of COVID-19 on campuses. As much as we appreciate the government for the acclaimed love, we condemn in totality the continued closure of our institutions.

“We understand that COVID-19 couldn’t halt the electoral process in Edo and Ondo states, even with the multitude coverging during rallies. We are tired of guidelines; reopen our school now,” Asuku stated

Categories
News

I Won’t Fight With A ‘Pig’ – Oshiomhole Replies DG PC Govs Forum

Former National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole on Monday said that he was not going to respond to the allegations made against him by the Progressive Governors Forum, Saliu Lukewarm over plot to come back as Chairman of the ruling party.

Comrade Oshiomhole said it takes an empty brain to suggest that he wants to stage a come back to become the national chairman.

He stated this while speaking to State House correspondents after meeting behind closed doors with President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Asked to react to the allegation by the Director-General of the Progressive Governors Forum, Lukewarm, that he wants to come back as Chairman, he said he would not engage in any fight with those he described as cowards within the governor’s forum using the DG to attack him.

He said,

“You want me to engage in a fight with a pig? If you engage in a fight with a pig, the pig already is stained by its nature and you will wear your white garment, and in my own case, khaki to go and wrestle with a pig? I will not.

“You see, what I want the media to interrogate, how does winning Edo…when I was removed as national chairman, Edo was APC. So do I have to win Edo to become the chairman? Do I look so unemployed? I’m 68.

“So, what they don’t understand is that it is not the office of chairman that makes me who I am. It is my pedigree from my days as a laborer in the textile industry to be the general secretary of textile workers all over Nigeria and becoming the president of NLC.

“There is no village I go to that people do not know me and is this that I used to override The Godfathers in Edo State for two consecutive terms and even got the governor elected through elections, no violence before becoming the national chairman.

“So, if you remove the office…is like our president now, maybe I cannot compare myself to him, but it is like President Muhammadu Buhari by 2023, when his tenure would have elapsed as President but those who believe in him, in 2024 and beyond, any time they see him, that trust they have in him will always be there.

“He bonds with the people, that bond was not created by the fact that he is the president, in fact, he became the president because of that bond.

“So, it takes an empty brain to suggest that Oh Oshiomhole wants to stage a come back to become the national chairman. For what? To go and do a resit?

“So my attitude is not to reply the noise and it is coming from somebody who says he is an employee, an appointee of Progressives Governors Forum, it is just like the cowards that are using him are not able to come out.

“Otherwise, you should ask this guy, who is now an election expert. He contested for senate against Makarfi, he lost.

He even contested against governor El-Rufai during the primaries and he lost before Fayemi unilaterally appointed him the DG.

“So, if he is now the spokesman abusing me and all of that, you want to drag me to his level? No! A gentleman does not wrestle with a pig if you do you will always be stained and I don’t want to get into that.”

Categories
News

Tribunal Sacks Bayelsa Governor, Diri

The Bayelsa State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Abuja, on Monday, nullified the election of Governor Duoye Diri.

The Justice Ibrahim Sirajo-led panel voided the outcome of the gubernatorial election that held in the state on November 16, 2019, over the exclusion of one of the registered political parties, Advanced Nigeria Democratic Party, ANDP, in the contest.

ANDP had in a petition it lodged before the tribunal, contended that it was unlawfully excluded from participating in the election by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, despite the fact that it fulfilled all the statutory requirements.

The tribunal said it found merit in the petition and consequently nullified the election and ordered INEC to conduct a bye-election in the state within 90 days.

Categories
News

“Death Still Lurks In Aso Rock” – Primate Ayodele Says, Speaks On Kashamu’s Death

The leader of INRI Evangelical Spiritual Church, Primate Elijah Ayodele, has sent a condolence message to the family of a former Senator, Buruji Kashamu, who died on Saturday as a result of COVID-19.

Primate Ayodele described Kashamu’s death as shocking and a big loss to the country, Ogun State and his family.

It will be recalled Primate Ayodele had warned that COVID-19 was out to kill influential and very important personalities.

He had predicted:

“This COVID-19 will not go either today or tomorrow.

“If care is not taken, it may extend till next year.

“More prominent people will still die of the virus.”

Ayodele made this known some months ago following the spread of the pandemic to Nigeria.

After the warning, President Muhammadu Buhari’s Chief of Staff, Abba Kyari; former Oyo State Governor, Abiola Ajimobi; Senator Bayo Osinowo, popularly known as Pepperito; and Kashamu among other prominent Nigerians have died.

Primate Ayodele made it known that the only solution to weaken the strength of COVID-19 was intense prayer and not the lockdown solution adopted by the government.

Furthermore, Primate Ayodele had also warned that the Presidential Villa, also known as Aso Rock, needed cleansing from COVID-19 to avert the unexpected.

He said in June 2020:

“President Buhari should be vigilant and be mindful of the people he hosts during this period.

“Between July and August, Nigeria will lose prominent people to COVID-19.

“Buhari should minimise the way he attends to people during this time.

“The villa needs to be cleansed.”

Ayodele while sending out his condolence message on Kashamu, maintained that until cleansing is done in the Villa, more death was inevitable.

He called on President Buhari to reach out on the cleansing as soon as possible.

Categories
News

COVID-19: Governor Fayemi Announces New Date For School Resumption In Ekiti State

Ekiti State Governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi, on Wednesday during a state broadcast said that only students in SS3 classes would resume revision classes on August 10 due to the prevailing COVID-19 pandemic.

Fayemi said that pupils in Junior Secondary School (JSS3) and primary six classes would not be resuming on that date.

The governor said that the state was making arrangements for their resumption at a later date.

According to him, he has directed that random samples of some of the students and teachers who would be resuming on August 10 should be taken for testing so as to be able to assess the state’s risk level.

Fayemi also said that he had approved that religious centres be opened from August 14, but with a caveat that there should be no multiple services.

Recall that the Ekiti State Government had announced August 3, 2020, as the resumption date for pupils and students in graduating classes.

Fayemi said:-

“From our experience, we have successfully treated and discharged about sixty-seven cases in Ekiti today while we still have about 83 active cases.

“So far, we have, regrettably, recorded 2 deaths which occurred because the 2 cases were brought in when their situations had gone beyond control.

“You will also notice that we have recorded more cases since last month when I addressed you.

“At the beginning of July, Ekiti had forty-three cases, twenty-eight treated and discharged while thirteen were active. As at today, Ekiti has recorded 152 cases in all.

“In line with the COVID-19 protocols for school reopening, the state government is supplying the schools with a water dispensing system each, for handwashing.

“The government is also supplying the schools with adequate alcohol-based hand-sanitiser and infrared thermometers.

“It must, however, be noted that parents are to provide their children with at least two face masks, each as a precondition for admittance into the school premises.

“Training of some teachers who have been selected as focal persons on how to handle basic health issues cases will also commence.

“Furthermore, we have constituted a team to visit the schools and ensure that everything enumerated in the protocols is strictly adhered to.

“Only Friday Jumat for Muslims, Saturday Sabbath for Adventists and Sunday Services for other Christian denominations are allowed.

“Weekly and vigil services are not to be held in the meantime, while all traditional worships or festivals that demand large gatherings of devotees remain suspended until further notice.”

Categories
News

Boko Haram Fires Bombs At Borno Residents, 2 Killed, Many Injured

No fewer than two persons have been confirmed dead and over a dozen injured as Boko Haram terrorists fired mortars in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State.

A source told PRNigeria, that the terrorists attack occurred on Thursday, as Muslim faithful in the town were making preparation for Friday’s Eid-el-Kabir festival.

Loud explosions sent many residents to scamper for safety.

Mortars were rocketed at innocent civilians in Gwange, Customs Area near Mansur Motors, and Marri, all in Maiduguri metropolis.

The Explosive Ordinance Detection (EOD) unit of the Police has been moved ro the areas to investigate the incidents and to determine whether it was an Improvised Explosive Device (IED).

Borno Commissioner of Police, Mohammed Aliyu said the actual cause of the explosions was yet to be ascertained as Police teams had been dispatched to the areas.

Members of Security and Response agencies including the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Army, Police, Rapid Response Squad, Civilian Joint Task Force(CJTF), and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) have also moved to the scene to restore normalcy.

Categories
News

10 COVID-19 Patients Die At Abuja National Hospital Isolation Centre

The National Hospital, Abuja, on Saturday said it has so far recorded 10 coronavirus related deaths at its isolation centre.

The hospital’s Spokesperson, Dr Tayo Hastrup, who made this known on Saturday said over 80 patients have been discharged at its facility.

He said 10 others had serious underlying illnesses.

He explained that the hospital has a centre where patients with suspected cases of COVID-19 are kept, after which “we send for the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) to come and take their (patients’) samples’’.

“And when it is confirmed that they are positive, we take them to our isolation centre,’’ NAN quoted him as saying.

Abuja currently has a total of 3,437 confirmed cases and 41 patients have died from the virus.